Bicycles are environmentally friendly, a great form of exercise and a practical, fun and inexpensive mode of transportation, particularly in urban environments, like Washington D.C. or Baltimore, Maryland. Because of this, traffic laws and roadway construction in Maryland and DC have become more “bicycle friendly” in recent years. However, inattention among car drivers, pedestrians and even bicyclists themselves, often due to cell phone use, has also increased. No matter how experienced of a rider you are, serious and fatal bicycle accidents can occur. Although a helmet protects your skull and brain, the rest of your body is unprotected if you are struck by a car while riding. At Cecere Law, LLC, our Rockville, Maryland based attorneys represent bicyclists injured in accidents caused by a negligent party.
If you were in a bicycle accident, follow similar steps as if in a motor vehicle accident.
- Make sure you are in a safe, well-lit area and call the police.
- Inform the dispatcher if you are injured so that they can send an ambulance. While ambulance bills may cause alarm, your health and safety should be your number one priority.
- Make sure to collect relevant information regarding the motorist and the accident. This includes the driver’s name, address, phone number, license plate number, car insurance information and photographs. Take photographs of the driver’s license, insurance card and registration card.
- Take photographs of the damage to your bicycle and equipment, as well as the motor vehicle involved, including its license plate.
- Take photographs and/or movies of the area of the accident.
- If there are eyewitnesses, obtain their name and contact information. Obtain or take photographs of their business card(s) if possible.
- If police come to the scene, write down or record the officer’s name, badge number, telephone number and police department. Obtain the accident report number if a report is prepared.
- Do NOT go into details about your accident or injuries with the driver’s insurance company and do NOT provide a recorded statement. Refer the insurance company to your bicycle accident lawyers at Cecere Law, LLC. (Please remember to be polite to all customer service employees – they are just doing their job).
- Seek medical care for your injuries; report all pains and problems you are experiencing to your healthcare providers; and treat until your injuries have resolved and/or you are released from care by your healthcare providers. Not sure where to go for treatment? We can refer to you to the appropriate healthcare providers, if needed.
Experienced Maryland Bicycle Accident Attorneys Are Here for You
If you or a loved one has been injured in a bicycle accident, you may contact us online or call us at (301) 948-6363 to set up a free consultation to discuss the specifics of your case. Cecere Law, LLC is here to help you recover the compensation for your injuries and other losses.
Get in Touch
- 1 Free Consultation
- 2 Available 24/7
- 3 No Fees Unless You Win